Vieux Fort South Constituency Council - Town Constable
MINISTRY OF THE PUBLIC SERVICE, INFORMATION AND BROADCASTING
JOB TITLE: Town Constable
REPORTS TO: Constituency Council Clerk
RESPONSIBILITIES AND RELATIONSHIPS:
1. Reports to the Clerk for the performance of his/her duties.
2. Maintains law and order for all spaces under the jurisdiction of the Council.
DUTIES AND TASKS:
- Executes the Bye- laws and Regulations of the Council and all provisions of any law relating to matters, or to offences which may be committed in any park, square, public space or institution, are complied with.
- Enforces order at the institution at which they may at any time or from time to time be stationed, and to take such action as may be required of them in that behalf by the Town Clerk or any other officer in charge thereof. Every constable being (while stationed at any such institution) subject to and bound to obey the order given him by the Town Clerk or any other officer in charge thereof
- Issues notices and documents which they may be required by the Town Clerk to serve within the limits of the Town
- Works under the direction of the Town Clerk and subject to the limitation imposed upon him by regulations to lay information against persons offending against any bye- laws or regulations of the Council or against the provisions of any law relating to any matters or to offences which may be committed in any park, square, public space or institution under the control of the Council
- To do all such other duties as may at any time or from time to time be assigned, either generally or specifically, by the Council to them or any of them.
ASSISTANCE TO THE STATE POLICE
Within the limits of the Town and so far as his duties permit, a member of the Constabulary shall render such assistance to members of the State Police Force as may lawfully and reasonably be required of him.
POWERS OF SPECIAL CONSTABLES
Every member of the Constabulary while acting as such shall have by virtue of his office and without being sworn all the powers, authorities, protection and privileges of a special constable.
DUTIES AS TO COURTS OF LAW
Any member of the Constabulary instituting any proceedings in any Court of law shall be responsible that all witnesses are duly summoned to appear before the magistrate on the day of hearing and that all exhibits are carefully labelled and initialled or otherwise identified and safely kept. In giving evidence, they should be as concise as possible in relating truthfully all they know, without exaggeration, with strict impartiality, without fear of reservation and without any attempt or desire to influence the result for or against a defendant.
- Accommodation at Council’s office to carry out task effectively.
- Required to work from 7:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. as part of an eight (8) hour work shift and may vary from time to time as assigned by Clerk of Council.
- Compliance with Civil Service Regulations and Guidelines
- Wages and allowances are in accordance with the terms stipulated by Government in the Estimate of Expenditure/Trade Union Agreement.
- Required to work from 7:00 am – 3:00 pm. This time may vary from time to time as assigned by the Clerk but will be no less than forty (40) hours per week.
- Any and all overtime has to be first approved by the Clerk
KNOLWEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to read and write English and speak Creole fluently.
- Must be a mature individual within the age range of forty (25) years to forty (40) years.
- Portrays a level of professionalism, interpersonal skills and excellent communication skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft office.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- All interested candidates should possess at least (5) CXC General I, II, III (Grade III General Proficiency from June 1998) Basic 1. English is compulsory.
- All candidates must be law abiding citizens and have a high standard of personal behavior and social conduct.
- Candidates must be physically fit and healthy.
- Report quality as reflected by clarity and Accuracy.
- Timely completion of reports, meeting deadlines and duties assigned.
- Demonstrate a level of professionalism and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to handle problems and provide problem solving strategies
- Ability to handle conflict in the work place
The Vieux Fort South Constituency Council invites suitably qualified persons from the community of Vieux Fort South and Environs to apply for the vacant positions of Town Constable.
CV’s can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or can also be hand delivered to the Council’s administrative office at Beanfield, Vieux Fort by September 21, 2018.