Creative Associates International - Secondary Prevention Specialist
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT: Secondary Prevention Specialist
Position Location: Saint Lucia
Creative Associates International is a fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic institution building and stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 15 countries implementing projects for the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
The USAID Community, Family, and Youth Resilience (CFYR) program offers a holistic approach to violence prevention, using primary, secondary, and tertiary prevention interventions. The program strengthens youth, family, and community support systems; improves the skills of youth to resist involvement in violence; expands access to education and employment opportunities; and provides specialized services to youth at the highest risk of engaging in violence. Additionally, the program is working in Guyana on juvenile justice reforms to ensure that youth already in contact with the law can be successfully rehabilitated and reintegrated into the community. The project is based in Saint Lucia, with satellite offices in St. Kitts and Guyana. The program has offices in Saint Lucia, St. Kitts and Nevis and Guyana.
The Secondary Prevention Specialist ensures the program is implemented in Saint Lucia according to the proposed secondary prevention model, which includes screening youth populations for eligibility for an array of interventions (depending on level of risk) including family counseling intervention. S/he oversees capacity building efforts with local services providers implementing secondary prevention activities. The Secondary Prevention Specialist supports the adaptation of the Youth Service Eligibility Tool (YSET) and family counseling model to Saint Lucia and the Eastern and Southern Caribbean context. S/he will also design and implement a strategy for applying other secondary prevention interventions when applicable and will coordinate with other project staff to ensure appropriate provision of primary, secondary, and tertiary prevention services in Saint Lucia. S/he identifies grant funding opportunities in partnership with the grants team, and documents evidence-based practices for replication. This position is based in Saint Lucia.
- Develops a strategy for the implementation of the program’s secondary prevention model in Saint Lucia, including a mapping of pre-existing secondary prevention assets, i.e. family counselors.
- Manages implementation of the family counseling model (Prevention and Intervention Family Systems Model) in cooperation with local partners.
- Oversees adaptation of the YSET to the Caribbean context in partnership with other Creative staff.
- Develops deep familiarity with target community dynamics in Saint Lucia and leads process for ongoing identification of secondary prevention needs and activities.
- Serves as main point of contact with institutions/consultants delivering training on secondary prevention techniques and family counseling.
- Contributes to a process of identifying local secondary service providers who can work with CFYR target communities, assessing their capacity and supporting development of referral networks.
- Oversees and provides training to family counselors in Saint Lucia and maintains quality control over the family counseling intervention in Saint Lucia.
- Coordinates with local partner(s) in the training of scoring of YSETs.
- Design, support and impart trainings to identified secondary prevention service providers in family counseling, psychological services, masculinity, family systems theory.
- Ensures the secondary prevention component targets are met.
- Perform other related duties as required by supervisor/manager
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- At least 3 years of direct experience in violence prevention interventions for at-risk youth populations, youth development, citizen security or related field.
- At least 5 years general work experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in public health, social work or related fields. Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience implementing and designing family-centered approaches for violence prevention.
- Demonstrated ability to work with at‐risk youth and other vulnerable groups in communities.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, technical and analytical skills, including an ability to interact effectively with government counterparts, and local and community organizations and families and at-risk youth.
- This position reports to the DCOP/Technical.
- This position requires approximately 15% travel outside of Saint Lucia and extensive travel to the CFYR communities in Saint Lucia.
Citizens of OECS member states are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should email their application letter and CV with Secondary Prevention Specialist in the subject line to: Employment@crea-cfyr.com
Deadline: 17 January 2019.
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.