VACANCY – OPERATIONS MANAGER – MARINE UNIT
A Leading Marine Unit Division is seeking an enterprising, high energy and business focus candidate to perform the role of Operations Manager to continue delivering on its Board mandate
Operations Manager – Marine Business Unit
Responsible for the implementation of the organization’s strategic plan. Work closely with the Directors to provide day-to-day management of the Business Unit to generate market growth and profitability.
Job Description Framework
Primary Objectives of the Operations Manager
- Health and safety of the workforce.
- Carrying out and attaining the mission and the goals of the business unit managed.
- Development of a superior workforce.
- Development of the department.
- Development of an employee-oriented company culture that emphasizes quality, continuous improvement, key employee retention and development, and high performance.
- Personal ongoing self-development and personal growth for employees.
Primary Responsibilities of the Operations Manager
Perform Human Resources Management
- Plan and manager staffing levels.
- Work with Human Resources Department to recruit, interview, select, hire, and employ an appropriate number of employees.
- Provide oversight and direction to the employees in the operating unit in accordance with the organization's policies and procedures.
- Coach, mentor and develop staff, including overseeing new employee onboarding and providing career development planning and opportunities.
- Empower employees to take responsibility for their jobs and goals. Delegate responsibility and expect accountability and regular feedback.
- Foster a spirit of teamwork and unity among members that allows for disagreement over ideas, conflict and expeditious conflict resolution, and the appreciation of diversity as well as cohesiveness, supportiveness, and working effectively together to enable each employee and the business unit to succeed.
- Consciously create a workplace culture that is consistent with the overall organization's and that emphasizes the identified mission, vision, guiding principles, and values of the organization.
- Lead employees using a performance management and development process that provides an overall context and framework to encourage employee contribution and includes goal setting, feedback, and performance development planning.
- Lead employees to meet the organization's expectations for productivity, quality, and goal accomplishment.
- Provide effective performance feedback through employee recognition, rewards, and disciplinary action, with the assistance of Human Resources, when necessary.
- Maintain employee work schedules including assignments, job rotation, training.
- Maintain transparent communication. Appropriately communicate organization information through department meetings, one-on-one meetings.
Perform Department Management Functions
- Manage Work Flow Schedules
- Set and Manage Daily Work Targets
- Develop a strong Customer Care Culture
- Manage the overall operational, budgetary, and financial responsibilities and activities of the department.
- Plan and implement systems that perform the work and fulfill the mission and the goals of the department efficiently and effectively.
- Plan and allocate resources to effectively staff and accomplish the work to meet departmental productivity and quality goals.
- Plan, evaluate, and improve the efficiency of business processes and procedures to enhance speed, quality, efficiency, and output.
- Make business decisions that are financially responsible, accountable, justifiable, and defensible in accordance with organization policies and procedures.
- Establish and maintain relevant controls and feedback systems to monitor the operation of the department.
- Review performance data that includes financial, sales, and activity reports and spreadsheets, to monitor and measure departmental productivity, goal achievement, and overall effectiveness.
- Manage the preparation and maintenance of reports necessary to carry out the functions of the department. Prepares periodic reports for management, as necessary or requested, to track strategic goal accomplishment.
- Communicate regularly with Directors, other Business Unit Heads, Stakeholders, Clients, and other designated contacts within the organization.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities, as assigned.
To perform the Operations Manager Job successfully, the successful candidate must perform each essential responsibility satisfactorily.
These requirements are representative, but not all-inclusive, of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to lead in the role of the Operations Manager.
Operations Manager Job Skill Requirements
- Knowledge and experience in Marine Operations and Management
- Knowledge and experience in business, supervision, and management.
- Knowledge of the functions, operation, and mission specific the marine operations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal relationship building and employee coaching and development skills.
- Management experience in a team-oriented workplace preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and develop a department and department staff members.
- Demonstrated knowledge of basic business knowledge, budgeting, and accounting principles and practices.
- Demonstrated ability to serve as a knowledgeable resource to the organization's management team that provides leadership and direction.
- Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows. Must include knowledge of Excel and skills in QuickBooks.
- Evidence of the ability to practice a high level of confidentiality.
- Excellent organizational management skills.
Education and Experience Required for the Position of Operations Manager
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree or equivalent in business or a departmentally related field.
- A minimum of Five (5) years of responsible leadership experiences in management or supervisory positions.
- Specialized training in Marine environment, preferred and would be an asset.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with a proven track record of effective team management; excellent communication, report writing and analytical skills
Mature and responsible individual; highly organized; demonstrated ability to work effectively with people
Attractive Salary and Benefits Package to commensurate with experience and qualifications
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the Operations Manager's position; and it is not intended to be an exhaustive list of experience, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.
If you contain the above stated characteristics, then email us your Professional CV to
Vacancy Deadline is June 1, 2019