Axcel Finance - Associate Attorney
Title: Associate Attorney
Status: Full Time, Employee
Axcel Finance is the leading regional microfinance institution in the English speaking Caribbean with branches in 6 islands. We are dedicated to providing high quality and innovative financing solutions for under-served markets. By deploying capital in a responsible manner, we enable the economic investment and social mobility of our clients in the communities we serve.
As an Associate Attorney, you will be responsible for debt recovery litigation, writing, reviewing, summarizing, researching and executing a wide variety of agreements. Areas of law include Legal Research, Recoveries, Compliance, Employment, Banking, and Corporate.
You will be required to represent the Company in courts, administrative agencies and regulatory bodies to protect and preserve the viability of the Company. You will be responsible for supporting all aspects of legal and regulatory affairs to ensure the company operates in a manner that is fully compliant with the relevant laws and statues which govern the organization. Your mandate will include identifying and analyzing legal issues in order to provide appropriate legal guidance and counsel to Management on a wide range of legal, regulatory and commercial matters.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage legal debt recovery process; draft claims, file submissions, negotiate settlements and represent the company in both magistrate and high court.
- Draft agreements, contracts and other documents requiring specific legal expertise.
- Keep abreast of legislative changes that may affect the company and its affiliates.
- Research legal issues impacting the Group and specify applicable statutes and judicial decisions.
- Review and analyze enacted and proposed laws and regulations that affect the Company
- Manage various projects in accordance with terms of references and deadlines.
- Serve as the Corporate Secretary and participate in board meetings.
- Prepare corporate annual filings and other regulatory reporting and ensure timely completion.
- Advise Management on employment, health and safety and other HR related issues.
- Provide training to management and staff of the company and its affiliates on key legal topics.
- A law degree from a reputable law school
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience especially in relation to the financial services industry.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of all aspects of the legal, regulatory, and compliance matters
- High-level written, oral communication and presentation skills to properly represent the Company
- Member of the Bar Association.
Interested persons are invited to submit their application and resume via www.axcelfinance.com/careers