by Ministry of Education, Innovation, Gender Relations and Sustainable Development
In keeping with the government’s promise to continue plans to reduce the dependence of single-use plastic on the island, Parliament has passed the Styrofoam and Plastics (Prohibition) Act on June 11, 2019. This act is a steppingstone in Saint Lucia’s efforts to have a clean, safe and healthy environment. This is an important instrument that will assist in the enforcement of a reduction in single-use plastic and promote environmental sustainability.
The Act will take effect on August 1, 2019, with a ban on the importation of All Styrofoam® and selected single-use plastic food service containers. Therefore, any Styrofoam® and selected plastic food service containers arriving in Saint Lucia after July 31, 2019, will not be released by the Department of Customs and Excise. The act provides further details on the items that will be restricted as of August 1, 2019 and August 1, 2020, with a twelve -month phase-out period for phase 1 and 2 respectively. The Styrofoam and Plastics (Prohibition) Act will soon be in the gazette and available for the public perusal.
All importers are encouraged to declare their stock of Styrofoam and single-use plastics to the Department of Sustainable Development, as of August 1, 2019.
Minister with responsibility for Sustainable Development, Dr. Gale T.C Rigobert is pleased with the support that her ministry has received from stakeholders and interested parties thus far and encourages the public to continue partnering with the government to ensure a healthy environment for all.
For more information please call the Department of Sustainable Development at 468 5833.
Saint Lucian Sophie Klein wins TEECA Caribbean Entrepreneurship Challenge and EUR 10.000 to develop her business
Top Posts & Pages
- Vacancy - Hotel Positions Deadline for application July 31st 2019.
- Branch Supervisor
- Sagicor - Administrative Assistant (Sales Department) by Monday July 22, 2019
- Uni-V St. Lucia Limited - Luxury Vacation Specialist Deadline for applications is Monday 22nd July 2019
- Solar Dynamics Ltd - Inventory Clerk
- Government of Saint Lucia - Wrap-Around Officers – Youth Empowerment Project.(RFE)
- Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort - Stewards, Steward (Shift Leader) & Housemen Deadline for applications is July 31, 2019