by Ministry of Education, Innovation, Gender Relations and Sustainable Development
In keeping with the government’s promise to continue plans to reduce the dependence of single-use plastic on the island, Parliament has passed the Styrofoam and Plastics (Prohibition) Act on June 11, 2019. This act is a steppingstone in Saint Lucia’s efforts to have a clean, safe and healthy environment. This is an important instrument that will assist in the enforcement of a reduction in single-use plastic and promote environmental sustainability.
The Act will take effect on August 1, 2019, with a ban on the importation of All Styrofoam® and selected single-use plastic food service containers. Therefore, any Styrofoam® and selected plastic food service containers arriving in Saint Lucia after July 31, 2019, will not be released by the Department of Customs and Excise. The act provides further details on the items that will be restricted as of August 1, 2019 and August 1, 2020, with a twelve -month phase-out period for phase 1 and 2 respectively. The Styrofoam and Plastics (Prohibition) Act will soon be in the gazette and available for the public perusal.
All importers are encouraged to declare their stock of Styrofoam and single-use plastics to the Department of Sustainable Development, as of August 1, 2019.
Minister with responsibility for Sustainable Development, Dr. Gale T.C Rigobert is pleased with the support that her ministry has received from stakeholders and interested parties thus far and encourages the public to continue partnering with the government to ensure a healthy environment for all.
For more information please call the Department of Sustainable Development at 468 5833.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fond Doux Plantation & Resort Deadline: November 15th 2019
- Felly Belly/RAWR - Barista/Customer Service Representative & Kitchen Assistant no later than November 16, 2019.
- Vacancy - Customer Service Agent & Warehouse Attendant Deadline for applications: November 15, 2019
- Vacancy - Waiter, Waitress, Accounts Clerk (Soufriere) & Assistant to Restaurant Manager
- SUNSWEPT Resorts - Vacancies
- Vacancy - Sales and Marketing Manager Deadline for applications: November 29, 2019
- Celebrate With Confetti-Waiter or Waitress Deadline for applications: 29th November 2019
- Vacancies Bay Gardens Resorts no later than Friday 8th November 2019