Vacancy - Legal Officer
CAREER OPPORTUNITY AT A STATUTORY BODY IN SAINT LUCIA
Job Title: Legal Officer
Term: Two-year Contract
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
All of the responsibilities below relate to the purchasing, acquisition and leasing of land in Saint Lucia by a non-national and for these non- nationals to enter and remain in Saint Lucia.
- Provide advice to the Department on legal matters, the legislation and applications;
- Review applications referred to the Department;
- Draft legal opinions on request;
- Research law, investigate facts, and prepare draft documents for consideration;
- Review all legislative and regulatory developments and advise the Department accordingly;
- Liaise with other Government Agencies on matters related to applications and the work of the Department;
- Provide feedback to Applicants and Attorneys-at-Law on queries raised and the non-compliance of applications;
- Assist the Chief Executive Officer in preparing all necessary reports to the Board in relation to applications received;
- Attend meetings of a Committee appointed by the Board; and
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the CEO.
- A Bachelor of Laws Degree from a recognized University;
- A Legal Education Certificate or equivalent qualification;
- A Practicing Certificate to practice law in Saint Lucia; and
- At least two (2) years’ practice at the Bar.
Technical skills, knowledge and experience
- Ability to assess reliability and authenticity of information.
- Expertise in probing issues and identifying appropriate solutions collaboratively with others.
- A thorough knowledge of legislation for which you are responsible to ensure compliance.
- Excellent oral communication and presentation skills
- Excellent written communication skills
- Ability to deal effectively with lawyers, accountants and other professionals
- Ability to apply logic and methodology with strong attention to detail in the review process
Personal skills and attributes
- Ethical and principled: Preservation of personal integrity and sense of ethics to remain independent.
- Fair and modest: Willing to scrutinize all the facts to make a fair decision.
- Proactive: A honed alertness and vigilance to potential breaches in the law. That means actively seeking for weaknesses in the Department’s compliance programme and fixing them.
- Flexible and willing to keep learning: Legislation is constantly changing so staying current is vital.
- Diligent: A Legal Officer must be willing to see all processes through to the end.
- A strong constitution and extra conviction: The ability to stand by difficult decisions and be ultimately influenced by what is right in the circumstances.
- Health insurance plan
- Leave shall be eighteen (18) working days per annum.
- Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience in line with the approved grading system of the Statutory Body
- Must pass an extensive background check.
- Must sign an Oath of Confidentiality.
- May be asked to take periodic polygraph tests. Please note that an individual has the right to refuse to take the polygraph test.
Interested candidates must submit a Cover Letter and Curriculum Vitae to the Chief Executive Officer at email@example.com
Deadline for applications – Friday 20th March, 2020
Candidates meeting the minimum qualifications and experience may not be considered for an interview. Only the candidates with the best qualifications and experience will be considered and shortlisted for interview.