Bay Gardens Resorts - Chief Steward
Department - Kitchen
Job Title - Chief Steward
Reports To - Sous Chef
The Chief Steward is responsible for enforcing the highest possible cleanliness and hygiene standards in all food processing facilities, as well as the operating equipment. Main responsibilities include dish room operations, night cleaning, back area cleaning, equipment maintenance, banquet plating and food running.
Duties And Responsibilities Include
- Supervise the duties of all stewarding department employees, facilities, operation and costs.
- Supervise the sanitation, cleanliness, hygiene as well as the quality level of product and services.
- Ensure Back of House areas are maintained to the highest cleanliness standards and cleaning schedules are followed and completed.
- Direct and assist stewards in order to make clean up more efficient.
- Ensure water temperature, and chemical levels are appropriate for cleaning and are documented.
- Assist with banquet plate-ups and buffet by transporting and ensuring adequate stock.
- Assist chefs and kitchen staff with various tasks as needed.
- Ensure the proper use of chemicals and washing accessories.
- Coordinate with the Executive Sous Chef in establishing minimum and maximum operating par stocks and supplies and approve storeroom requisition.
- Ensure water temperature, and chemical levels are appropriate for cleaning and documented.
- Assist in the location, movement and storage of banquet operational equipment.
- Assist in the stock take of equipment and other items as required.
- Work closely with the Executive Sous Chef and Events Manager to anticipate guest needs.
- Work with all departments to ensure items that are required for service are available when needed.
- Take all necessary action to reduce the loss of silverware/flatware.
- Take all necessary action to reduce breakage of china and glassware.
- Supervise employees’ ability to follow loss prevention policies to prevent accidents and control cost.
- Ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Ensure disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to Standard Operating Procedures.
- Achieve and exceed goals including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
- Celebrate successes by publicly recognizing the contributions of team members.
- Encourage and build mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
- Serve as a role model for the stewarding team to demonstrate appropriate behaviours.
- Carry out any other reasonable tasks set by the Hotel’s Management
- Must be able to understand and communicate oral/written instructions in English.
- Must possess a friendly, respectful disposition with a concern for quality and a keen eye for detail. Must have a proven track record of effectively leading a team.
High school graduate or equivalent.
Prior experience as a Chief Steward or Stewarding Supervisor is required.
Applications may be sent to email@example.com no later than Monday 26th November 2018. Only suitably qualified applicants may be contacted for interview.